In a series on this website we’ll entertain YOU with our picks - or: what we think is worth sharing - every week. Books, articles, gems, fun stuff… you’re in for an eclectic mix! So, here’s for the one-hundred-seventh edition:
- Awesome Print - Pretty print your Ruby objects with style
- The Secret Life of your Database, part 1: Migrations - a neat little article that take a look at database migrations. Bonus: the
rake db:migrate:statuscommand, which I had never used before <3
- everyenv - rbenv, but for ANYTHING
- Why Everyone Hates Go - An interesting take on why golang has so many haters. Angular could also fall into this reasoning.
- Speakers Chosen For Full Stack Fest - This conference looks like a must see. Amazing lineup.
- Talks from Baruco 2013 - Since we’re talking about Baruco (Full Stack Fest), here are the talks from 2013. It was, and still probably is, the best conference I have ever been to. It’s super hard to pick a best, I think I’ll pick them individually in the next editions of our picks!
- ReadRemaining.js - Tell your readers how long they’ll need to get through all of your gibberish, with this clever jQuery plugin.
- ROSSConf Berlin - Because who needs sleep, when there’s conferences to organize?
For the love of crypto! Elliptic Curves are the new hotness, especially given shock revelations of recent years regarding protocol flaws, government capability and general internet-enabled data collection. Here’s some links to get your teeth into, but not biting off more than you can chew!
Why should you care? Well, ECC-based Ed25519 ssh keys are shorter, almost memorisable, noticeably faster for session setup times, and throughput is improved! What’s not to like? Similar advances are available in TLS and PGP. Be warned, not all OS, apps and browsers support these yet.
- The Death of BitCoin - a well supported but controversial view of BitCoin’s future, touching on ECC.
- A gentle introduction to ECC - if you ignore most of the math this is indeed a gentle introduction.
- Another gentle introduction to ECC - this is slightly less gentle but may be easier to digest as a video!
- Post-quantum Crypto - I just bookmarked this one for “later reading” when my brain has expanded but anything by D.J.Bernstein and T.Lange is always worth the time spent understanding.
- Securing SSH - a practical application of all the hard science you just skimmed ;-)